Don’t step off the podium just yet, Janet and Chris. I’m happy to report that the #2 fiction post in July was also from fantasy’s power couple: an excerpt from heroic fantasy novel The Sacred Band by — who else? — Janet Morris and Chris Morris.
Third was perennial favorite “The Find,” by Mark Rigney, Part II of The Tales of Gemen, which has been near the top of the charts every month since it was first published here nearly three years ago.
Michael Shea’s tale of Lovecraftian horror, “Tsathoggua,” which first appeared here last September, came in fourth.
Next was Aaron Bradford Starr’s epic novella “The Sealord’s Successor,” the third adventure fantasy featuring Gallery Hunters Gloren Avericci and Yr Neh, the most popular adventuring duo we’ve ever published.
Also making the list were exciting stories by Joe Bonadonna, Mike Allen, John C. Hocking, C.S.E. Cooney, Sean McLachlan, Peter Cakebread, Vaughn Heppner, Jason E. Thummel, Harry Connolly, Steven H Silver, E.E. Knight, Judith Berman, Martha Wells, David C. Smith, and Dave Gross.
If you haven’t sampled the free adventure fantasy stories offered through our Black Gate Online Fiction line, you’re missing out. Here are the Top Twenty most-read stories in July.
- “Seven Against Hell” by Janet Morris and Chris Morris
- An excerpt from The Sacred Band by Janet Morris and Chris Morris
- “The Find,” Part II of The Tales of Gemen, by Mark Rigney
- “Tsathoggua,” by Michael Shea
- “The Sealord’s Successor,” by Aaron Bradford Starr
- “The Moonstones of Sor Lunarum,” by Joe Bonadonna
- An excerpt from The Black Fire Concerto, by Mike Allen
- “Vestments of Pestilence,” by John C. Hocking
- “Godmother Lizard” by C.S.E. Cooney
- “The Quintessence of Absence,” by Sean McLachlan
- An excerpt from The Alchemists Revenge by Peter Cakebread
- “The Pit Slave,” by Vaughn Heppner
- “The Duelist” by Jason E. Thummel
- “The Whoremaster of Pald,” by Harry Connolly
- “The Cremator’s Tale” by Steven H Silver
- “The Terror in the Vale,” by E.E. Knight
- “Awakening,” by Judith Berman
- The Death of the Necromancer, a complete novel by Martha Wells
- “The Shadow of Dia-Sust” by David C. Smith
- An excerpt from Pathfinder Tales: King of Chaos, by Dave Gross